Friday, September 20, 2019

Common Questions from People Charged with Retail Fraud

When people face Retail Fraud charges, they often have these questions:
“Is Retail Fraud a misdemeanor or felony?”
“How do I prove my innocence if I didn’t commit this offense?”
“Will I go to jail/prison if I’m guilty?”
“What is a Civil Demand Notice?”
“If I return the goods, will the whole criminal charge simply go away?”
In Michigan, Retail Fraud is generally defined as “the taking of property from a store that was open to the general public, and with the specific intent to deprive the store of ownership.” If a someone steals from a person, building, or home, it’s a distinct (separate) theft offense and not Retail Fraud. Only where there is a “retail establishment” involved (hence, Retail Fraud) is this charge appropriate. If the person is an employee of the establishment it would be Embezzlement and not Retail Fraud. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What You Need to Know About OWI Expungements

If the OWI offense was your first and didn’t involve someone else being seriously injured or killed, an application for expungement can be f...